Hunting and Fieldsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Whippet Training

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
taysiderabbiter
rookie hunter
rookie hunter
taysiderabbiter

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 11:16 am

IP and any other whippet owners. what age did you start training your whippet? I bought that 11 week old pup at the weekend that i mentioned. so any advice will come in handy mate. Whippet Training 650939 (i did manage to knock the price down too Wink )
Back to top Go down
sme4969
sme4969

Male
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 11:36 am

start training now just normal heal,sit, fetch, and your half way too good dog by time its old enough too start traing on the hunting side
Back to top Go down
taysiderabbiter
rookie hunter
rookie hunter
taysiderabbiter

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 12:39 pm

I started doing that sme Whippet Training 650939 and he's not too bad off the lead as well.
Back to top Go down
IRISH PUP
IRISH PUP

Male
Number of posts : 1572
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:34 pm

well the basic training can be started straight away mate and for the hunting side of it start taking him ferreting at about 7 months....try make it not to long of a day out and try and get as many bolting into the nets for him to have a look at at first...so he enjoys the day and not get too bored..

what i did is just took my fella out just that little bit later than i would my lurchers....didnt start him on the lamp till he was id say 14months old but that was due to an accident he had at about 7 minths old so mabey 12 months old would do depending on what you think yourself as people give ages and the like but you will know best when he is ready...ie...picking some easy rabbits you get for him ferreting and showing good interest and when you think he might catch a lamped rabbit Wink

so its up to yourself mate..thing is when he is about 7 months old it will be the summer time roughly but to bring him on if you have plenty of rabbits on your permission then hunt him through the summer months when its cool...thats what id do anyway mate Wink

that is if you dont have a working lurcher already..if you do then you could leave him off till next season as most of wippets are very game and take to hunting very quickly...and as some might believe (not metioning any names si Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ) they have very strong feet if you get the right one and dont pick up knocks easily...really strong little dogs they are and best of luck with him mate...would like to see a pic of him when you get the chance Wink
Back to top Go down
taysiderabbiter
rookie hunter
rookie hunter
taysiderabbiter

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 12:39 am

This pic was sent to me a week before i bought the dog.

Whippet Training P1100521

IP & sme ,thanks for the info, Whippet Training 650939 the pup is doing not too bad on the lead etc, he is still trying to figure out my border terrier Laughing although he isn't too phased about my old lucher.
Back to top Go down
IRISH PUP
IRISH PUP

Male

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 7:48 am

well he is a beauty mate and good to see you went for the tiger brindle colour the same as my fella cheers
Back to top Go down
smashygadge
Admin
Admin
smashygadge

Male
Number of posts : 1303
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 8:00 am

cracking little dog is that .
now i wearnt mentioning no good on the feet .
i have seen some good work .
i just dont find them suitable for my ground .
i know their hardy little dogs and good workers .
i just find my bog brushes take a little more .
and can see more what with the height as feild in this area are allover
up and down .i wouldnt want to carry my dog so it can see a bunny .
nor do i walk them on squatters .my dogs work the beam .wether they can see it or
not but a whippet with its smaller stature as i found with a little bitch i had.
not my cup of tea .less walking is good happy working the dogs for me lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.huntingandfeildsports.com
IRISH PUP
IRISH PUP

Male

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 8:03 am

lol! lol! lol! smashy...think the bitxhes can be a little too small alright and i would not have one myself kid Wink
Back to top Go down
sme4969
sme4969

Male
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-11-27

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 8:41 am

taysiderabbiter wrote:
This pic was sent to me a week before i bought the dog.

Whippet Training P1100521

IP & sme ,thanks for the info, Whippet Training 650939 the pup is doing not too bad on the lead etc, he is still trying to figure out my border terrier Laughing although he isn't too phased about my old lucher.
you said its 11 weeks thats bloody big pup for 11 weeks
Back to top Go down
IRISH PUP
IRISH PUP

Male

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 8:46 am

ya just noticed that 2 he is big for that age aint he..either that or the couches are really small Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
smashygadge
Admin
Admin
smashygadge

Male
Number of posts : 1303
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 9:56 am

well my collie grey is alot smaller than that i think scratch
and he only around 3 month .even so looks like its going to be a nice dog that Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.huntingandfeildsports.com
IRISH PUP
IRISH PUP

Male

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 10:43 am

yes he looks about 5months old that fella...as im the wippet expert ha ha ha cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
taysiderabbiter
rookie hunter
rookie hunter
taysiderabbiter

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 11:22 am

The picture does makes him look bigger than he is lol! i thought he was older than that when the breeder first sent the pic,until i clocked the height of the bottom door hinge in the pic. i will take a pic of him and put it up. Laughing

Last edited by taysiderabbiter on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IRISH PUP
IRISH PUP

Male

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 11:27 am

that would be good mate and he is a looker him cheers
Back to top Go down
taysiderabbiter
rookie hunter
rookie hunter
taysiderabbiter

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 11:40 am

Heres a pic of him on my couch Laughing

Whippet Training S7301359

The breeders are from Aberdeen so they might not have full size settees up there lol!
Back to top Go down
IRISH PUP
IRISH PUP

Male

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 11:59 am

lol! lol! Yes he is a little un alright....nice pup he is and am looking 4ward to how he turns out cheers
Back to top Go down
taysiderabbiter
rookie hunter
rookie hunter
taysiderabbiter

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 12:17 pm

IRISH PUP wrote:
lol! lol! Yes he is a little un alright....nice pup he is and am looking 4ward to how he turns out cheers

I think i have i said before mate,i always had a soft spot for whippets,and i do think that they are very under rated, but ave never kept or worked one before,so heres hoping he turns out to be a good un', i have a lot of field permissions that will be good for him when he's older Whippet Training 650939
Back to top Go down
IRISH PUP
IRISH PUP

Male

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 12:55 pm

well i was in the same boat mate with the fella i have been my first one and im very happy how he is coming on and yes they are very underated...people look at them and think the look weak and iv heard some fellas that said they would not have one as some of the legs just break when they turn scratch scratch

which again is a myth and think they are good ferreting and lamping dogs and have bags of stamina....
and think in any rabbiting man should have one in the kennels as they will fill the bag all day and night...

best of luck with your fella and keep us updated on his progress

Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Whippet Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whippet Training   Whippet Training Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whippet Training
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hunting and Fieldsports  :: OTHER TOPICS :: Working Dog Health & Training Talk-
Jump to: