Hunting and Fieldsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gypsies...........................

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Gypsies........................... Empty
PostSubject: Gypsies...........................   Gypsies........................... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Not your normal Romany or irish travellers,anyone ever seen water-gypsies?Also known as Badjao they originally so rumour has it only came on land when dead Shocked They live through seaweed-farming,pearl-diving,fishing,smuggling,piracy etc Shocked I lived with them for three months once,village called tong-tong built on stilts on the edge of a shallow reef,no land in sight,heres an octopus lure they use to bring octopus out from the coral before spearing them,and a squid lure worked at night under lamp-lit boats.

[img]Gypsies........................... Panaanddecoy3[/img]

Gypsies........................... Panaanddecoy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gypsies...........................   Gypsies........................... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 4:20 am

Friend of mine was visiting a seaweed farm last week looking for decent pearls,they had caught a Hawksbill while he was there.....................................

[img]Gypsies........................... Seaturtle3[/img]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gypsies...........................   Gypsies........................... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 11:50 am

Most interesting thread i've ever seen on gypsies mate,did the turtle end up as soup and are there better pearls on seaweed farms then?.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gypsies...........................   Gypsies........................... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Turtle will have ended up eaten and its shell made into combs or a guitar body or even hanging inside a home polished up as an ornament Very Happy Pearls arent any better from a seaweed farm,but the farms are situated on the edges of deep reefs,good places for guys to dive for them,theres an island in the south china sea,never saw it but heard the tales,just a spit of white sand and a few palm trees,the Badjao shroud their dead in white linen and lay them out on the sand to biodegrade Shocked
Notice the home-made fins and goggles,these guys are incredible swimmers,when I lived with them I saw kids aged three years old swimming like seals underwater Shocked

[img]Gypsies........................... Woodenfins2[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gypsies...........................   Gypsies........................... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gypsies...........................
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hunting and Fieldsports  :: OTHER TOPICS :: Living Off The Land & Game Cooking-
Jump to: