Hunting and Fieldsports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

well may get one

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
smashygadge
Admin
Admin
smashygadge

Male
Number of posts : 1303
Registration date : 2008-10-26

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 3:23 am

ok lads any good longnet guys out their .
iam thinking of getting one ,i was wondering what would be the
ideal size and probably weight of net i would need .

i would be looking really at one that would be like mustard to setup
speeds the escense sort of thing.

now i dont no if they suffer from major tangle or out .never put one up.
so really any ideas on quality and use ability would be grand cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.huntingandfeildsports.com

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 3:57 am

smashygadge wrote:
ok lads any good longnet guys out their .
iam thinking of getting one ,i was wondering what would be the
ideal size and probably weight of net i would need .

i would be looking really at one that would be like mustard to setup
speeds the escense sort of thing.

now i dont no if they suffer from major tangle or out .never put one up.
so really any ideas on quality and use ability would be grand cheers

i would say a quick set bud but stay away from the 4 z nylon start from 6z but the best longnet i seen was a hemp made one but hemp are ok if your willing to hang them up to dry everytime you work them all the best Smile
Back to top Go down
smashygadge
Admin
Admin
smashygadge

Male

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:03 am

so 6 oz quik set good good
do you need the steaks or do they come with them
or seperate cheers Wink
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:22 am

smashygadge wrote:
so 6 oz quik set good good
do you need the steaks or do they come with them
or seperate cheers Wink

the one me old lads uses he bought out the countrymans weekly bridport nets ltd pro master long net it came with basket,poles which are fitted with grommets good nets mate but think he paid alot for it mate around 100pounds mate
Back to top Go down
smashygadge
Admin
Admin
smashygadge

Male

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:24 am

dont sound bad like .
and 100 pound soon make that back ah lol lol!
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:29 am

smashygadge wrote:
dont sound bad like .
and 100 pound soon make that back ah lol lol!

tru very good to have mate ie ferreting or out at night great to have plus brill saves on purse nets when your round a warren just stake out let ferrets work freely if your working with terriers or lurchers great pushing the rabbits into the net great days sport Smile
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:48 am

I preferred the 4z as it seems to catch better than the 6z,watch rabbits at night through an NV sight,I have seen them bounce off 6z's a few times,horses for courses though,also remember a 6z is heavier to carry though they dont pick up as much crap as a 4z,its personal preference really.
Back to top Go down
smashygadge
Admin
Admin
smashygadge

Male

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 5:28 am

well i must say valid piont their makem
and i like the sound of the night vision for the job like .
id say that would be a good must to keep them to field
while setting up ,like at night Wink
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 6:08 am

You set up in the dark mate,but its good to watch a rabbits reaction to the net through NV Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smashygadge
Admin
Admin
smashygadge

Male

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 6:14 am

mackem wrote:
You set up in the dark mate,but its good to watch a rabbits reaction to the net through NV Very Happy

yes its given me new ideas and possiblilitys lol!
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 6:44 am

Theres loads of DVD's currently available showing rabbits hitting Long-nets in the dark,watch them,if the net hasnt enough bagging the bunnies bounce off,aslo watch the ones that show a rabbit caught by a foot and struggle which bags it up,4z can and will do that as it snags everything Very Happy
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 7:13 am

mackem wrote:
Theres loads of DVD's currently available showing rabbits hitting Long-nets in the dark,watch them,if the net hasnt enough bagging the bunnies bounce off,aslo watch the ones that show a rabbit caught by a foot and struggle which bags it up,4z can and will do that as it snags everything Very Happy

you right there mate 4z snaggs everythink ok setting on clear field but if your working fields with loads of snaggs i stay away best to set your pegs on a angle so the net slowps give more bagging but make sure you through the bagging forward so when rabbit runs it will get tangled before it hits the net more chance of getting him then Smile
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 7:57 am

I do set at an angle so he is already treading on mesh when he passes the top line,4z is still my choice however as it snags better and just seems to hand better,and thats what we are attempting to immitate,natures webs,most of the good netters I have met if given a choice of commercial netting only would plump for the smaller z of the two.
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 8:04 am

found either 4 and 6 oz seem to work better with a weighted bottom cord, sunny
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 8:34 am

Thats only on very uneven ground,I bought one when it first ever came out from KP&S nets,keith pryor was the first one to offer such nets commerically,I took the line off eventually and used it for a gill-net,I just prefer normal lines but its each to their own and personal preference,but 100 yards of lead-core line is quite heavy.
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 8:48 am

it makes it easyer to use if its wound on to an old hose pipe wheel,soon as the wind piks up i have an exerlent place to go, fireman and i will be doing it,i wouldnt be surprised if on a black windy night,we take 200 + rabbits in a matter of a few hour,my dogs broke into my shed and made a bed out of mine so im down to 2 25 yrds and a couple of gate nets,but steve still has 100 mtrs intact,its a lot easyer when theres 2 of you setting them in the dark wind and rain, bounce
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 9:40 am

Dog made a bed out of it??? Shocked
Back to top Go down
smashygadge
Admin
Admin
smashygadge

Male

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 10:50 am

wll some nice stuff about the nets lads but thats what iam planning ooty
to have a few of them in the 100s ,but me and plans are somtimes
wrong haha lol!
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:25 am

mackem wrote:
Dog made a bed out of it??? Shocked
They ripped it up,i've cut my 100 yd'r in half and have found them to be much more use to me when ferreting and might even half one of the halfs as a lot of my ferreting is on hedges and i'll just use 2 25yd'rs through the hedge either end of the burries sort of thing,not until i've helped ooty on his 200+ mission though scratch .have been to where he is on about and there are a lot of rabbits there,over whelming numbers everywhere and bagsy i aint carrying them either mate lol! .2 50 yrd quick sets will see you covering all your needs smashy,will cost a few quid though.
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Buy the sheeting and make your own Wink
Back to top Go down
smashygadge
Admin
Admin
smashygadge

Male

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 12:23 pm

2 x 50yd fireman
that seems alot is that the field covered or what lol .
well think i work alone .
iam hopfully well thinking off,
one i am going to use ferreting
as iam tottally wound up with setting nets alone
and nothing down .so quicker to net i was thinking
even some moon light ferreting.
then theirs a few spots to mind i could hit. not for the 200 as such as theirs the walking,
the carrying then carrying back to car lol and i dont fancy dragging all them in one run.
so 25yd what we talking 75ft ? and setting up then back in at night
full moon where i shouldnt and oddd night when i travel to where i can .
just to bring the numbers up you no lol!
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 12:58 pm

mackem wrote:
Buy the sheeting and make your own Wink
always wanted to make my own,one of those thing i never got round to learning yet,you should smashy,its more fun than purse nets,the rabbits think they've got away then suddenly the net wipes the smile off there faces to a more distorted kind of taught look,can be amuseing to see the look on there faces when there in the net Shocked scratch F,M,instead of cutting another one of yours you may aswel use mine.im going to need another long one,we will need at least 200yrds for this place, Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smashygadge
Admin
Admin
smashygadge

Male

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 1:02 pm

i got a load of netting ,but its too heavy
for that job i think .i got it and made my purse
nets out of it good ones like none tangle
and free cant go wrong lol lol! and they dont let many go
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 2:56 pm

smashygadge wrote:
i got a load of netting ,but its too heavy
for that job i think .i got it and made my purse
nets out of it good ones like none tangle
and free cant go wrong lol lol! and they dont let many go
i got my long net from arther carter but after buying a lamp from him id never give him another penny,can be a good idea to go longnetting with someone thats done a bit of it before,also a lot of people have there own way of doing things,those quiskset ones look handy,anyone use one os know anyone that uses one as i will have to have a new net at some point pirat
Back to top Go down

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 3:02 pm

Know what you meen smashy but you soon use it up mate,next time your stood around a warren pace it out,you want a bit of room between net and holes so the rabbits hit it better,you may be surprised how much you use.Remember to bring it over then oot's and i'll sort it out mate. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

well may get one Empty
PostSubject: Re: well may get one   well may get one Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

well may get one
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hunting and Fieldsports  :: HUNTING & FIELDSPORTS :: Longnetting-
Jump to: